A woman has two ovaries located on each side of the uterus in the lower abdomen that produce egg or ovum and hormones like progesterone, and Estrogen. Sometimes one or more fluid-filled or solid sac-like structures may develop on or within the ovary, called ovarian cysts. Although usually asymptomatic, sometimes they may cause severe problems like infertility and ovarian cancer.Types of Ovarian Cysts There are many types of ovarian cysts. However, the most common is the Functional cyst, which is of two types:
Some rare types of cysts include:
A growing untreated cyst may cause multiple symptoms and complications like Ovarian Torsion, Ovarian Cancer, or Internal Bleeding. Some of the signs that patients must look out for are:
1. Bloating of the Abdomen: This symptom is confused with gastritis or indigestion, but it is a common symptom of ovarian cancer. So, patients must not ignore this symptom, especially when accompanied by some other symptoms.
2. Painful Bowel Movements: Here, the patient faces difficulty passing stool, which hinders daily life activities and may lead to severe complications like piles.
3. Pelvic Pain: There are many reasons behind painful periods, and an ovarian cyst is one of them. Hence, instead of dismissing it as usual pain, patients must consult their Gynecologist to diagnose the cyst(s) early.
4. Painful Sexual Intercourse or Dyspareunia: A woman may experience pain in her genital or pelvic area during, after, or before sex. Apart from a decrease in sexual drive, Dyspareunia also causes self-image and relationship issues.
5. Lower Back Pain: Pain in the lower back or thigh region may be a symptom in some patients. If this pain persists for long and occurs during every menstrual cycle, it is a cause of concern.
6. Breast Pain or Tenderness: Slight breast pain during the menstrual cycle is considered normal due to hormonal fluctuations, but if this pain worsens with time, the woman must consult a doctor soon.
7. Vomiting and Nausea: These are not very common but might occur in the later stages of cyst development. Sometimes it may also come with dizziness and fever.
Hence, if a patient faces any of these symptoms, they must visit an experienced Gynecologist in Delhi immediately. Detecting the cysts at an early stage will help in getting rid of them using oral medicines. However, if the cysts are large or rupture within the ovary, surgical methods like Laparoscopy or Laparotomy are adopted for ovarian cyst treatment. Also, in some cases, the cysts may become cancerous with time. So it is very important not to ignore the symptoms of the ovarian cyst and it is highly advised that the patient should consult an expert Gynecologist experienced in treating cysts.