Abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB) is characterized by any unusual or heavy bleeding from the uterus. It is unpredictable in nature and can occur in the absence of recognizable pelvic pathology, pregnancy, or any disease. This type of dysfunctional bleeding is quite common in women and can have a considerable impact on their quality of life.
Vaginal bleeding can occur at any age. Some of its common signs and symptoms include:
• Bleeding between periods
• Bleeding after sex
• Heavy bleeding during periods
• Scanty bleeding
• Post-menopausal bleeding
• Irregular periods
According to the best gynecologists, every woman has a different menstrual cycle. The normal duration of the menstrual cycle can range between 24 days and 38 days. Generally, a normal menstrual period lasts between 4 to 8 days. However, young girls may get their periods between 21 to 45 days. Furthermore, during pre-menopause, women in their 40s have decreased intervals between their periods.
As ovaries release an egg during menstrual cycle, AUB (abnormal uterine bleeding) can occur when ovaries do not release an egg. It is more common in teenage girls and premenopausal women.
Hormonal imbalance is one of the major causes of AUB. However, the condition can occur due to a variety of other reasons as well. Some of them include:
• Uterine fibroids
• Uterine polyps
• Cancers of uterus, ovaries, vagina, or cervix
• Thickening of the uterine wall
• Excessive weight gain
• Polycystic ovary syndrome
• Bleeding disorders
• Severe weight loss
• Uterus or cervix infection
• Hormonal birth control such as intrauterine devices (IUD) or birth control pills
According to some research, abnormal uterine bleeding is reported to occur in around 17.9% of women between menarche and menopause. Therefore, timely treatment of AUB is extremely important, otherwise, it can lead to serious complications such as:
• Anemia or extreme weakness
• Hypotension or fainting attacks
• Endometrial cancer
• Need for blood transfusion
• Need for the removal of uterus
There are various abnormal uterine bleeding treatment options available at the best gynecologic clinic in Delhi. Based on your age and symptoms, your gynecologist may conduct some tests like ultrasound exam, pap smears, thyroid function tests, hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy, magnetic resonance imaging, and computed tomography.
After examining the cause of AUB, your gynecologist can suggest some treatments such as:
• Birth control pills that may help you get normal menstrual cycles and lighter periods.
• Drugs like tranexamic acids and NSAIDs that can help control and lighten vaginal bleeding.
• Myomectomy which is performed in case of fibroids.
• Hysterectomy that involves the removal of the uterus, if any other treatment fails.
Abnormal uterine bleeding can hinder your everyday activities. If you’re suffering from irregular periods, scanty periods, prolonged bleeding during periods, etc. you should visit the best gynecology clinic in Delhi in order to get the best possible treatment.